WADE PARK, which joins the southern end of ROCKEFELLER PARK at E. 105th and extends south of EUCLID AVE. along East Blvd., encompassing much of UNIV. CIRCLE, was originally the private estate of JEPTHA H. WADE, a Cleveland industrialist who began to develop his farmland and natural woodland as a public park in 1872. Wade donated over 63 acres to the city on 15 Sept. 1882, one of the first large gifts of open space to the city. Additional acres were subsequently purchased by the city, and in 1892 Wade Park became a major recreational area with picnic facilities, tennis courts, a lagoon, and ball fields. Later it became the setting for many of Cleveland's cultural institutions, including the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, the Fine Arts Garden, and the Garden Ctr. of Greater Cleveland.