WALTERS, CLAIRE A. (21 Aug. 1872-18 Nov. 1937) was for 41 years a teacher and psychologist in the Cleveland public school system whose life work was the rehabilitation of underpriviliged children.
Born in Cleveland to Phillip and Mary (Whelan) Walters, Claire graduated from Central High School in 1893 and Cleveland Normal School in 1897. She began her career by teaching at Fowler, Barkwill, Brownell and Eagle public schools. Continuing her own education, Walters graduated from the Vineland (NJ) Training School in 1912.
In 1922 Walters was appointed psychologist in the bureau of attendance for the Cleveland School Board and was responsible for examining difficult children. Never married, Walters devoted herself to her students and was often successful in helping them overcome such hardships as broken homes and poverty. For 25 years she taught at the Boys School, originally located at Clinton and W. 29th St., and was renowned for her ability to handle truants and anti-social boys.
Walters was also a psychologist and child study and placement worker for the Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court from its founding in 1902. In 1912 she began work in Juvenile Delinquency child study. She served on the board of education for 30 years, doing special work with problem children.
Walters helped organize the first detention home and school which opened in Cleveland in 1908. She also helped establish a playground at Forest and Woodland Avenues.
Walters lived in Cleveland. Services were held at the Wade Memorial Chapel in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.