WARREN, DANIEL (1786-13 Oct. 1862), the first settler in WARRENSVILLE TWP., was born in New Hampshire, the son of Moses and Priscilla (Nourse) Warren. In 1808, he left Acworth, N.H., for Painesville, and eventually settled in Jefferson. The following year he moved to NEWBURGH to claim property, sight unseen, he had received in exchange for $300 owed to him for making bricks for the first courthouse at Jefferson. In the spring of 1810, Warren bought a farm in the western part of Twp. 7, Range 11, built a cabin and cleared the land for a small farm. He was both a farmer and brickmaker, and as a brickmaker, was often away from his family for several days at a time. His wife, Margaret Prentiss, whom he married in 1807, purportedly gave the township her husband's name at a housewarming party held in their first cabin. In the first township election, Warren was elected chairman. In 1817 he was elected justice of the peace; later he served in various township offices, including trustee in 1827 and 1828. As another form of public service, he established a tavern in Warrensville, on the northeast corner of Milverton and Kinsman roads.
Warren had 6 children: William H., Moses N., Pauline, Julia, James M., and Othello. He was buried in WOODLAND CEMETERY.