WEBER'S RESTAURANT, a popular Cleveland eatery, served downtown diners under several names for 75 years. Owned by Leonard Schlathler, the restaurant opened in 1899 as the Casino Restaurant and Cafe. Located at 282 Superior Ave., the 3-story Flemish-styled building was designed by LEHMAN & SCHMITT, with James Rochford as contractor. It cost $175,000.
The restaurant's popularity stemmed as much from its decor as from its food. The 1st-floor dining room was richly panelled in oak. A winding carved oak staircase led to 2nd-floor banquet and private dining rooms, graced by stained glass windows. The 3rd floor, originally sleeping accommodations, became the CITY CLUB OF CLEVELAND's first meeting facility.
Schlathler ran the restaurant until 1904, when it was taken over by John A. Weber, and later by his son, Walter, who operated it until 1927. Ivan Kaveney then purchased it, managing it under the Weber's name until 1959. During this period the restaurant reached the peak of its popularity. In 1964 Charles Lazzaro reopened the facility as the Roundtable Restaurant, and it continued as a restaurant until 1974. In its last 3 years, the Roundtable became a disco bar. In 1977 the City Landmarks Commission gave the building landmark designation in hope of preserving it from the wrecker's ball. The aging structure was then owned by the Broadview Savings and Loan Co., which wanted to replace it with a parking lot. Despite landmark designation, the building was razed in 1978. Some of its interior paneling and glasswork were saved and bought by other restaurants. The curved staircase found a new home in the Atrium office building in WESTLAKE. Weber's site was occupied by the BP garage in 1995.
View more at Cleveland Historical.