WIGMAN, JOHN B. (1816-1 Feb. 1900), building contractor, was actively involved in local POLITICS as a member of CLEVELAND CITY COUNCIL and an unsuccessful candidate for other offices. Local structures built by Wigman include the first brick warehouse on the CUYAHOGA RIVER, the ACADEMY OF MUSIC building, ST. JOHN CATHEDRAL at the corner of Superior and Erie (E. 9th) streets, and many business blocks. Born in Germany, Wigman received a common-school education there before leaving for the U. S. at age 14. He became an apprentice bricklayer in Cleveland and by 1843 had developed his own construction business. That year the Cleveland City Council authorized him to build a wooden bridge across Johnson's Run at Lake St. (Lakeside Ave.). Wigman was elected to city council from the 1st ward in 1842, serving a 2-year term. He helped organize the German celebration of American independence the next year. After a year as an alderman from (1852-53), he was returned to city council in 1853. A strong Democrat (see CUYAHOGA COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY) who stongly opposed Prohibition, Wigman ran unsuccessfully for state representative in 1853. In 1843 he married Catharine Hackman (d. Sept. 1901), also a native of Germany. Wigman had 3 children: Augustus, Henry, and Catharine. He is buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery.