WITT, STILLMAN (4 Jan. 1808-29 Apr. 1875), railroad president and philanthropist, was born in Worcester, Mass., to John and Hannah (Foster) Witt. At 13 he moved to Troy, N.Y. and apprenticed with Canvass White of the U.S. Engineer Corps, then was sent by White to administer Cohoes Mfg. Co., employed to build a bridge at Cohoes Falls and on other building projects. Then, still connected with White, he became an agent of the Hudson River Steamboat Assoc. in Albany. With the emergence of railroads in the 1840s, Witt became manager of Albany & Boston Railroad Co. In the late 1840s, Witt moved to Cleveland, forming the firm of Harbach, Stone & Witt which built the Cleveland, Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad, completed in 1851. The firm then constructed the Cleveland, Painesville & Ashtabula Railroad, and the Chicago & Milwaukee Railroad. Witt managed the large interests he had acquired in railroads and other properties, becoming director of the above railroads and others. In 1863, Witt was an incorporator of Cleveland Rolling Mill Co. He also helped build the Cleveland & Newburgh Railroad in 1868.
In 1869, Witt bought and donated a boarding home for the Women's Christian Assoc. (later