ZUCKER, HENRY L. (11 Mar. 1910-22 July 1998) was the head of the Jewish Community Federation for 27 years. He was born in Cleveland to Rose (Edelman) and Morris Zucker, a tailor who ran his own shop. He attended Glenville High School, graduated from Adelbert College of WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY in 1932, and received his master's degree from the School of Applied Social Sciences in 1935. As a senior in college, Zucker began work as an untrained case worker for the Jewish Social Service Bureau. After receiving his master's degree, he went to work for the Cuyahoga County Relief Administration. He rose to chief executive in three years. He then spent a decade as an executive at the Welfare Federation. In 1946, Zucker became an associate director of the JEWISH COMMUNITY FEDERATION and led Cleveland in responding to the horrors of World War II and aiding the creation of the state of Israel. As a consultant with the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, Zucker helped survivors of the Holocaust in ten European countries. In 1948, he was named the head of the Jewish Community Federation and remained in that position until his retirement in 1975. While heading the organization, Zucker introduced the endowment fund concept for the national Jewish community federation system. His work became a model for others in the field. From his retirement until his death, he served as the executive vice president emeritus of the organization. In retirement, he headed the Mandel Associated Foundations.
In 1978, Zucker was one of two men chosen by United Way of America to receive the first Outstanding Agency Professional Award. In 1985, on the 50th anniversary of receiving his Master's degree, friends established the Henry L. Zucker Professorship at his alma matter, which had become the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences at CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY. He was given the distinguished Retiree of the Year award from the Association of Jewish Community Organization Personnel in 1991. In addition, Zucker was given numerous other awards for his work including an award from CATHOLIC CHARITIES CORP. of the Diocese of Cleveland. He was the first man to receive the Hannah G. Solomon Award of the CLEVELAND SECTION, NATIONAL COUNCIL OF JEWISH WOMEN. Zucker served on numerous boards, including BALDWIN WALLACE COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY CIRCLE, INC., and Mid-Town Corridor Inc.
Zucker married his first wife, Harriet L. Wiener, on March 30, 1941 and together they had three children: Steven, John Henry, and Connie Z. Reider. Following Harriet's death in 1988, Zucker subsequently married Ellen Cronbach. He died in Beachwood, OH and his remains are in the Mayfield Mausoleum.