The Entering Class
The entering class of 2018 was one of our best yet!
2017-2018 Application Statistics
Total Applications Nationally: 50,904
Total Applications to CWRU: 6,645
2018 Entering Class Size: 214
- Applications: 5,623
- Interviews: 1,011
- Matriculants: 169
- Applications: 1,980
- Interviews: 243
- Matriculants: 32
MD/PhD (MSTP) Program
- Applications: 403
- Interviews: 80
- Matriculants: 13
Metrics and Demographics
- Average MCAT: 516.4 (94th percentile), Range: 503 - 526
- Average Cumulative GPA: 3.75, Range: 2.91 - 4.00
- Average Science GPA: 3.71, Range: 2.85 - 4.00
- 55% Female
- Average Age 24, Age Range: 19 - 37
Race and Ethnicity
- 39.3% White (84)
- 7.8% Chinese (17)
- 11% Asian Indian (23)
- 13% Black or African American (28)
- 7.8% Hispanic, Colombian, Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Peruvian, Latino, Other Hispanic, (17)
- 3.7% Taiwanese (8)
- 3.7% Korean, (8)
- 0.9% Filipino (2)
- 1.8% Pakistani (4)
- 0.4% American Indian or Alaskan Native (1)
- 0.4% American Indian or Alaskan Native, African American, Black or African American (1)
- 0.4% Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander (1)
- 1.4% Asian Other (3)
- 0.9% Japanese (2)
- 3.3% Vietnamese (7)
- 0.9% Other (2)
- 1.4% Did Not Report (3)
* Based on self-reported description on AMCAS
The Graduating Class
In recent years, the gap between our students' Step 1 scores and the national average has been widening.
Students at the School of Medicine, on average, perform consistently higher on the United States Medical Licensing Examinations (USMLE) when compared to the national average consisting of all US and Canadian medical schools. For USMLE Step 1 which is taken after the second year of medical school: 97% of CWRU students pass on the first attempt compared to the national average of 96%. Since the implementation of the WR2 Curriculum in 2006, students in the Classes of 2010 - 2015 have scored well above the national average. During the last two years, the average Step 1 score for CWRU students was 239 compared to the national average of 228.
The USMLE Step 2 CK and CS exams are typically taken in the months following the completion of the third year.
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK): 96% of CWRU students pass on the first attempt.
- USMLE Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) which is a pass-fail exam and scores are not reported: 99% of CWRU students passed on the first attempt.
Residency Match Results: Historically, CWRU students do extremely well in the Match. The national board no longer officially tracks 1st choice matches versus other choices. However, our students have consistently been thrilled with their Match results and train in outstanding residency programs locally and across the country.