CWRU Shared Mobility Guidelines
The City of Cleveland and Cuyahoga County have contracted with five companies to operate dockless electric scooters and electric bikes — Bird, Lime, Spin, Wheels, and the HOPR Bikeshare system. Scooters became available in Cleveland on August 26, 2019. Each company offers an app users can download to access scooter or bike rental.
We request that the CWRU community use these shared mobility devices responsibly. Please be cautious of your own and others’ safety. To access the City of Cleveland’s guidelines for responsible use, see this link.
1. Ride smart, wear a helmet
- Free or low-cost helmets are available from some scooter vendors, after registering an account and taking one ride
- You can also buy a low-cost helmet at the Thwing Service Counter during business hours for $12 using cash, Case Cash or credit card.
2. Park responsibly, on campus that means at or next to one of our 140+ bike racks.
3. Scooters are not permitted in any campus building and are not allowed to be charged on campus.
4. Be aware that scooters will only activate from 7:00 am – 7:00 pm in Cleveland; plan accordingly when mapping your trip.
This information is intended to promote safety while riding an electric scooter, but is not intended to be an exhaustive list of safety precautions nor guarantee operator safety.
We've created this postcard for easy safety info sharing. Download a pdf.
Further, read The CWRU Daily article for more tips.
Watch the video that CWRU released about scooter safety.