The Emerging Scholars Program is open to Cleveland-area students pursuing any undergraduate major at Case Western Reserve. As a result, our alumni include graduates from the College of Arts and Sciences, Case School of Engineering, the Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing and the Weatherhead School of Management. About 80% of our alumni have majored in STEM fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) or the social sciences.
Here is a partial, rotating list of our graduates:
Physicians and Medical Students
- Joseph Mims (CWR ’15, psychology; GRS ’15, bioethics; MED ‘19) is in private practice as an obstetrician/gynecologist in Aurora, Ohio.
- Nichelle Ruffin (CWR ’16, biology; MED ’20) is a medical resident at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
- Ali Mahmoud (CWR ’15, biology) is a student at the University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences.
- Suhib Jamal (CWR ’18, biochemistry) is a student at CWRU School of Medicine.
- Nichola Bomani (CWR ’19, biochemistry and Spanish) is a student at CWRU School of Medicine.
- Jessica Pham (CWR ’20, chemical biology) is a student at CWRU School of Medicine.
Nichelle, Suhib, Nichola and Jessica are recipients of the Joan C. Edwards Scholarship, which supports graduates of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District as they pursue bachelor’s and medical degrees at Case Western Reserve.
- Mackenzie Dunn (NUR ‘15) is a nurse at University Hospitals Rainbow Babies and Children’s Hospital
- Amber Strickland (NUR ’15; NUR ’21, adult gerontology primary care nurse practitioner) is an oncology nurse at Seidman Cancer Center, University Hospitals of Cleveland.
- Ja’Nae Morris (NUR ‘16) is a nurse at Cleveland Clinic.
- Elizabeth Reyes (NUR ’17) is a nurse at MetroHealth Medical Center.
- Denasia Wagner (NUR ’20) is a cardiac stepdown nurse at Cleveland Clinic.
- Spencer Boyd (CWR ’16, mechanical engineering) is an exterior design engineer at Nissan Motors.
- Santiago Chabrier (CWR ’17, chemistry and chemical engineering) is a team manager with Avery Dennison.
- Israel Hill (CWR ’17, computer science) is a software engineer at Twitter.
- Terrence Mathis (CWR ’17, mechanical engineering) is a project engineer at PMI Industries.
- Yousef Mahmoud (CWR ‘17, computer science) is at Amazon.
- Dominique Owens (CWR ’18, computer science) is at OverDrive.
- Miles Booker (CWR ’20, chemical engineering) is a systems engineer at RoviSys Building Technologies.
- Johnathan Hicks (CWR ’20, biomedical engineering) is a process engineer at Boston Scientific.
Computer science students at CWRU can choose between a bachelor of science from Case School of Engineering and a bachelor of arts from the College of Arts and Sciences. Arik Smith (CWR ‘19), who earned a BA, is a software developer at ThoughtWorks.
Advanced Degree Students
- Robert Herd (CWR ’17, biomedical engineering) is pursuing a master of public health degree from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University.
- Kenya Moyers (CWR ’17) has earned a master of public health degree from The Ohio State University, where she is pursuing a doctorate in epidemiology.
- Briana Sealey (CWR ’17, biology), who went on to earn an MS from the University of Michigan, is completing a doctorate in ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Kristina Bowrie (CWR ’17, psychology and communication sciences) is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Speech and Hearing Science at The Ohio State University, where she is pursuing her Doctor of Audiology (AuD) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Speech and Hearing Science with a concentration in Hearing Science.