ASBURY SEMINARY, incorporated in 1839 in CHAGRIN FALLS by the Methodist Conference, offered an advanced secondary education during the mid-1800s. It provided teacher training, business education, and a college preparatory course. The seminary was named for Rev. Francis Asbury, an American Methodist bishop. Rev. Lorenzo D. Williams, who had managed a small private school in Chagrin Falls, was the first principal. A building was erected in 1842. The seminary operated for 19 years, until it was sold in 1858 to the Chagrin Falls Board of Education for use as Union School.
See also METHODISTS, RELIGION.