Category: Education

ALTERNATIVE SCHOOLS. The alternative-schools movement began in the 1960s, when parents began to demand choices in the schooling of their children. Specifically, alternative schools were institutions, often not state-accredited, serving the traditional school population but privately controlled and supported because the traditional systems were not meeting the needs. Cleveland has had several alternative schools.

The AMERICAN ECONOMIC FOUNDATION was organized in Cleveland by Fred G. Clark in 1939 to promote the libertarian ideals of a free market and limited government. Clark moved the foundation to New York City in the 1940s, where it continued its successful education program to improve economic literacy and to demonstrate the virtues of the capitalist system in the U.S.

ARBUTHNOT, MAY HILL (August 27, 1884-October 2, 1969) was a nationally known educator and author who wrote several children's books and works on early childhood education. Born May Hill in Mason City, Iowa, to Frank and Mary E. (Seville) Hill, she received a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Chicago in 1922 and an Master of Arts from Columbia University in 1924.

ASBURY SEMINARY, incorporated in 1839 in CHAGRIN FALLS by the Methodist Conference, offered an advanced secondary education during the mid-1800s. It provided teacher training, business education, and a college preparatory course. The seminary was named for Rev. Francis Asbury, an American Methodist bishop. Rev. Lorenzo D.

BALDWIN-WALLACE UNIVERSITY (formerly Baldwin-Wallace College) is a liberal-arts university related to the United Methodist church. Located in BEREA, the college's campus extends from Eastland Rd. to Front St., and from E. 5th Ave. to Center St. In 1995 the total plant consisted of 54 buildings on 56 acres. The roots of the college date back to Mar.

BENJAMIN, CHARLES H. (29 Aug. 1856-2 Aug. 1937), a mechanical engineer and educator at Case School of Applied Science from 1889-1907, established that school's mechanical engineering department. Benjamin was born in Patten, Maine, the son of Samuel E. and Ellen Fairfield Benjamin.

BENTON, ELBERT JAY (23 Mar. 1871-28 Mar. 1946), was an author, educator, historian, and college administrator. Born in Dubuque, Iowa, to Oliver Dustin and Sarah Proctor Benton, Elbert grew up in Kansas where he received his A.B. degree from Campbell College, Kansas City University.

BIELEN, CASIMIR (10 Feb. 1925-2 Sept. 1992), educator and clean-air activist, participated in more than 80 organizations, including nationality groups and political and educational organizations. The NATIONALITIES SERVICES CENTER recognized Bielen's fundraising efforts in 1977.

BOURNE, HENRY E. (13 Apr. 1862-19 June 1946), an expert on the French Revolution and history professor at Flora Stone Mather College, was born in East Hamburg, N.Y., son of James and Isabella (Staples) Bourne. He earned his B.A. (1883) and B.D. (1887) from Yale University. Bourne also received a L.H.D. degree from Marietta College and a L.L.D. degree from Western Reserve College.

BRADBURN, CHARLES (16 July 1808-12 Aug.1872) was a merchant and a leader in the organization and development of CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS, called the "Father of Cleveland Schools", who worked from 1841-1861 as a member of the school board and/or City Council to establish Cleveland schools.

BRETT, WILLIAM HOWARD (1 July 1846-24 Aug. 1918), librarian of CLEVELAND PUBLIC LIBRARY and founder of the Western Reserve University Library School, was born in Braceville, Ohio to Morgan Lewis and Jane Brokaw Brett. He became the school librarian at Warren High School at 14.

BRIGGS, PAUL WARREN (23 Nov. 1912-10 Nov. 1989), Superintendent of the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS (1964-1978), made physical improvements and recruited BLACKS as teachers and administrators but opposed integration by busing. Briggs was born in Mayville, Michigan, and graduated from Western Michigan College.

CAMLS (the Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System), a consortium of libraries established in 1975, fosters increased access to area library collections and coordinates services among its members. It was created under the provisions of a federal Library Services & Construction Act (LSCA) grant secured by its predecessor, the Library Council of Greater Cleveland, an informal group organized in the early 1960s.

CAMPEN, RICHARD NEWMAN (1 Aug. 1912 - 24 Oct. 1997) was an architectural historian and author who wrote extensively on architecture and outdoor sculpture in his native state. He was born in Cleveland to Otille (Newman), a school teacher and housewife, and Mort J. Campen, of Campen Bros. dress manufacturers. He graduated Cleveland Heights High School in 1930 and earned a bachelor's degree from Dartmouth College in 1934.

CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY (est. 1826) occupies 150 acres in UNIVERSITY CIRCLE and is the largest private university in Ohio.

CATHOLIC LABOR EDUCATION in Cleveland operated from 1939 until the early 1970s. Cleveland was one of the most prominent and long lasting centers of Catholic labor schools in the United States.

CATHOLIC SCHOOLS. See PAROCHIAL EDUCATION.


CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL was the first public high school in Cleveland. Established on 13 July 1846, it was the first such school west of the Alleghenies to provide free secondary education at public expense.

CHARTER SCHOOLS, known in Ohio as "community schools," appeared in Cleveland as elsewhere in the United States beginning in the 1990s. Charter schools represent one version of the reform called "school choice," which seeks to improve education by providing students more options.

The CLEVELAND ACADEMY was created in 1821, when the trustees of the Village of Cleveland raised over $200 for the construction of a new and larger school. The new 2-story brick schoolhouse, completed in 1822, was located on the north side of St. Clair Ave. On 26 June 1822, the academy was opened under the direction of Rev. Wm. McLean as headmaster.

The CLEVELAND COUNCIL OF PARENT-TEACHER ASSOCIATIONS (PTAs) was organized in Apr. 1902 at FIRST PRESBYTERIAN OLD STONE CHURCH as the Cleveland Congress of Mothers. The local organization was affiliated with the Ohio Congress of Mothers, formed in 1901 at the convention of the National Congress of Mothers in Columbus. Louisa (Mrs.

The CLEVELAND FREE SCHOOL, or Colored Free School, was organized by a committee of black citizens who were concerned about the lack of educational opportunities for Cleveland's black children between 1832 and the early 1850s. The school, open intermittently during the period in several locations, also helped to educate adults whose education had been banned in southern states.

CLEVELAND HEBREW SCHOOLS is a community afternoon supplemental school for instruction in Hebrew and religious studies. The nondenominational school is principally involved in teaching Hebrew to children who do not attend Jewish day schools. It traces its origins to the creation in 1885 of the Sir Moses Montefiore Hebrew School, located at Broadway and Cross streets and known as the Talmud Torah. The school moved to E.