The A. M. MCGREGOR HOME, incorporated in 1904, was established by two sisters as a residence for white Protestants of means over age sixty-five. Tootie Barber McGregor (later Mrs. Marshall Terry) donated a house and land on Terrace Road, EAST CLEVELAND, in memory of her husband, Ambrose McGregor, and provided $5,000 per year for the home's first five years. The McGregor Home opened in 1908, with Anna Huntley its first matron and Sophia Barber McCrosky, McGregor's sister, president of the Board of Trustees. Dr. Marshall Terry donated hospital equipment and served on the board for many years.
The facility housed only twenty-five residents. Enlargements in 1916 and 1925 increased capacity to forty-five, and later sixty-five, but the facility strove to remain as "homelike" as possible. When the fire warden condemned the structure in 1940, the board built a new home, finished in 1941, at 14900 Private Drive, across Terrace Road and up the hill from the original site. It contained a small hospital and room for seventy-two residents. Additions in 1961 and 1971 increased capacity to 100, expanded the home's hospital facilities, and added an auditorium, craft shop, beauty salon, snack bar, and gift shop. In 1987 the AMASA STONE HOUSE became a division of McGregor Home. The home opened The Meadow in 1992, a sixteen-bed residential unit for the memory-impaired, which also offered per-diem temporary care. In 1995 Sue W. Neff served as the executive director of the Home.
"History of the A. M. McGregor Home" (Nina Kendrick, Comp. Printed for the A. M. McGregor Home, 1984).