ACKLEY, HORACE A. (Aug. 1810-26 Apr. 1859), was a surgeon, the first local physician to use ether in surgery, and a founder of the Cleveland Medical College, now the medical school of CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY.
The 19TH MEDICAL DISTRICT OF OHIO, the Greater Cleveland-Medina area, was one of 20 districts designated by the State of Ohio in 1824 for licensing doctors and supervising medical care. Though the original bill was passed in 1811, the number of districts changed as population shifted in the growing state. On 24 May 1824, all qualified area physicians met at a hotel at Water and St.