BENTLEYVILLE, originally part of CHAGRIN FALLS TWP., is a 2.75 sq. mi. village approx. 20 miles southeast of Cleveland. Incorporated as a village in 1929, it is bounded on the north and east by Chagrin Falls, on the north and west by MORELAND HILLS, and on the south by SOLON. The South Chagrin Reservation of the CLEVELAND METROPARKS SYSTEM occupies approx. 540 acres. In 1831 a minister of the DISCIPLES OF CHRIST, ADAMSON BENTLEY, came to the area and bought land at the junction of the Aurora Branch and the CHAGRIN RIVER. He built a sawmill, gristmill, and, in 1836, a clothing store. He held Disciples meetings in a log schoolhouse. Other settlers built a triphammer shop, tannery, and developed a stone quarry, chair and rake factories, among other shops and stores. One of the important early settlers was RALPH RUSSELL, founder of the NORTH UNION SHAKER COMMUNITY (1822). In 1928 various proposals were suggested by CHAGRIN FALLS VILLAGE to annex all of Chagrin Falls Twp. Some residents, opposed to the annexation, wanted to separate and join Moreland Hills. However, another group of citizens circulated petitions, voted to secede, and created Bentleyville, a separate incorporated village. Village population grew from 180 in 1950 to 301 in 1960, 338 in 1970, 381 in 1980, and 947 in 2000. Bentleyville’s population has declined over the past two decades and stood at 851 in 2018. Despite numerous proposals to annex the village to Chagrin Falls, Solon, or Moreland Hills, Bentleyville has remained independent.
See also SUBURBS.