BLACK, COL. LOUIS (24 Dec. 1844-12 Jan. 1919) was a civic and business leader best known as president of the BAILEY COMPANY. A native of Hungary, he was the son of Morris and Rose Black, reputed to be Cleveland's first Hungarian family when they immigrated to the city in 1854. Louis was one of the first Hungarians naturalized in Cuyahoga County and served in the 150TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT during the CIVIL WAR. He entered business in Cleveland with the D. Black Cloak Co., which he remained with until 1896. He then joined C.K. Sunshine in assuming control of the Bailey department store, which they incorporated in 1899 as the Bailey Co. Black remained with the store until his death, filling the positions of treasurer and president. Active in Republican politics, he served 2 years on CLEVELAND CITY COUNCIL and became the city's first fire director under Mayor WILLIAM GREY ROSE. He was a long-time member of the CLEVELAND GRAYS, being a trustee during construction of GRAYS ARMORY. His honorific title of Col. was evidently acquired from his membership in the Knights of Pythias. Black was also a director of the Cleveland Jewish Hospital Ass'n. and a president of the Hungarian Benevolent Ass'n. Besides the Bailey Co., his business interests included real estate and banking. He indulged his hobby of gardening at his EUCLID AVENUE home in EAST CLEVELAND and a country home on Lake Shore Blvd. Survived by his wife of 51 years, Anna, and 2 children, Roy Black and Mrs. Victor Sincere, Black was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.