BOND, DOUGLAS DANFORD (2 July 1911-30 Oct. 1976) was a prominent psychiatrist, educator and dean of CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY's School of Medicine (1959-1966) and director of psychiatric services at UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF CLEVELAND (1946-1969).
Born in Waltham, MA. to Dr. Earl Danford and Grace (Newson) Bond, Douglas graduated from Harvard College (A.B. 1934), and the University of Pennsylvania Medical School (M.D. 1938). He took his psychiatric training at Bryn Mawr and Butler Hospitals (1938-1940). Bond was a fellow in psychiatry at the Institute of Pennsylvania Hospital (1940-1941) and Harvard Medical School (1941-1942). He was a Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a graduate of the Detroit Psychoanalytic Institute. During WW II Bond was Chief Consultant for the U.S. Army Air Force.
Bond came to CWRU in 1946. With Bond as chairman (1946-1969) of the psychiatry department and professor (1946-1976), patient care, physical facilities, teaching, and research activities were developed and the field of psychiatry assumed new importance throughout CWRU's four-year medical curriculum.
In 1950, together with the WOMEN'S CITY CLUB, Bond created a course to help parents in raising children. In 1969 Bond retired from administrative duties to continue teaching and maintain a private practice. He belonged to numerous professional organizations and government institutions.
Bond married Helen Cannon on July 3, 1937. They had four children, Peter, Thomas, Sharon and Barbara. Bond died of a heart attack and was cremated. The Douglas Danford Bond Chair was approved in 1978 as the first professorship established at CWRU's psychiatry department.