CADWELL, DARIUS (13 Apr. 1821-26 Nov. 1905), an attorney, state legislator, Union Army officer, and judge, was born in Andover, Ohio, in Ashtabula County, son of Roger and Caroline Darius. He attended county and select schools, and completed 1 year at Allegheny College in 1841. After teaching county schools for several years, he studied law under Benjamin Wade (later U.S. senator) in Jefferson, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in 1844. In 1847, Cadwell joined the firm of RUFUS P. RANNEY and Charles Simmonds of Jefferson, Oh. He was a deputy clerk in Jefferson and in 1850 a census agent in Ashtabula County. He served from 1856-58 as state representative and from 1858-60 as state senator, representing Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula counties in Columbus. Turning down a captaincy in the Regular Army in 1862, Cadwell instead accepted the position of provost marshal of the 19th district, which had its headquarters in Youngstown, Ohio. In the fall of 1865, the 19th district was consolidated with the 14th, 16th, and 18th provost marshal districts, with headquarters in Cleveland. Caldwell maintained this position until the Cleveland provost marshal's office was closed in Dec. 1865 (see 18TH PROVOST MARSHALL DISTRICT OF OHIO). In 1873 he was elected to the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas and served until 1884. Having opened a law office in Cleveland in the early 1870s, he practiced there after his second term expired.
Cadwell married Ann Eliza Watrous 13 Apr. 1847. They had four children: Frank W., Mrs. Richard Hubbard, Florence, and James R.