The 103RD OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1862-65, was a Union, three-year regiment comprised of men from northeast Ohio. Within its ranks were approximately 460 men from Cleveland and Cuyahoga County during its term of service.
The 107TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1862-65,
also known as the “5th German Regiment,” was a Union, three-year regiment composed largely of immigrant Germans from Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. It was organized at Camp Taylor in Cleveland (see CIVIL WAR CAMPS IN CLEVELAND) in the summer of 1862 and mustered into federal service on 9 Sept.
The 11TH MILITARY DISTRICT OF OHIO, headquartered in Cleveland, was one of 11 recruiting districts established throughout the state by proclamation of Governor David Tod on 8 July 1862. The districts were established to coordinate the recruitment of CIVIL WAR soldiers. Twenty-two regiments, totaling over 30,000 men, were to be created in the state.
The 128TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT served as the guard unit at the prison for captured Confederate soldiers at Johnson's Island during the CIVIL WAR. The first 4 units of the regiment—companies A, B, C, and D—were organized in Dec. 1861 and early 1862 and were known as Hoffman's Battalion in honor of Lt. Col.
The 135TH ARTILLERY was a local Ohio National Guard (ONG) unit which traced its lineage to the 1ST OHIO VOLUNTEER LIGHT ARTILLERY (OVLA). After Mexican border duty (1916-17), the 1st Battalion, OVLA was redesignated the 1st Field Artillery (FA) ONG (May 1917) and then the 134th FAONG (Sept. 1917).
The 150TH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1864, contained 801 Cleveland men during its 100 days of service in the CIVIL WAR. The 150th, formerly the 29TH OHIO VOLUNTEER MILITIA, was raised by the CLEVELAND GRAYS, who took credit for raising 5 companies.
The 15TH OHIO NATIONAL GUARD REGIMENT, formed in June 1879 and disbanded in 1881, was composed of local and regional militia companies and was the period's dominant military organization in Cleveland. Its principal officers were Col. Allan T. Brinsmade, Lt. Col. George A. McKay, and Maj. Henry Richardson. The regiment was a federation of 5 Cleveland companies—the Emmett Guards (Co. A), the Veteran Guards (Co.
The 18TH PROVOST MARSHAL DISTRICT OF OHIO (1863-65), headquartered in Cleveland, was created by the Enrollment Act of 3 Mar. 1863, passed by the U.S. Congress, to coordinate recruitment of federal troops to serve in the CIVIL WAR. The 18th District supplanted the 11TH MILITARY DISTRICT.
The 1ST REGIMENT OF LIGHT ARTILLERY, comprised of 131 men from Cuyahoga County, campaigned for 3 months (Apr.-July) in western Virginia during the CIVIL WAR in 1861. Organized in 1860, the 1st Regiment, commanded by Col. JAMES BARNETT of Cleveland, was assigned to the 3d Brigade, 4th Div. of the Ohio Militia.
The 23D OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY REGIMENT, 1861-65, was organized at Camp Chase in Columbus, Ohio on 11 June 1861 to fight for the Union in the American CIVIL WAR. A total of 341 Cleveland men served with the regiment.
The 29TH OHIO VOLUNTEER MILITIA was created in 1863 after the passage of a state law requiring all white male citizens ages 18-45 to enroll for 5 years' military service. It was composed primarily of men from each of Cleveland's 16 wards. Little is known about the personnel or organization of this unit, although the following individuals were listed as officers in Aug.
The 331ST INFANTRY REGIMENT served during WORLD WAR I as part of the U.S. Army 83d Infantry Division. Composed almost entirely of Clevelanders ages 21-31 who had been drafted into the army, the regiment included companies A, B, C, D, H, and L and a supply company. Basic training of the new recruits was conducted at Camp Sherman, northwest of Chillicothe, OH.
The 332D INFANTRY REGIMENT served during WORLD WAR I as part of the U.S. Army 83d Infantry Division. It was composed of Clevelanders ages 21-31 who had been drafted into the army. Commanded by Capt. John Dempsey, the 332d saw action in Italy, and shortly after the armistice, marched into conquered Austria.
The 5TH OHIO NATIONAL GUARD REGIMENT (1881-1917) was formed 7 July 1881 to replace the 15th ONG Regiment. Composed of local and regional militia companies, the 5th consisted of the Forest City, Washington, and Light Guards of Cleveland as well as units from Elyria, CHAGRIN FALLS, and Geneva, OH, as well as two new companies recruited by 1894.