CANFIELD, MARTHA ANN ROBINSON, MD (10 Sept. 1845-3 Sept. 1916), homeopathic physician, was among the earliest WOMEN in Northern Ohio to practice MEDICINE as a profession. She followed MYRA MERRICK as the second president of the Women's and Children's Free Medical and Surgical Dispensary Society (1900) and helped create its successor, WOMAN'S GENERAL HOSPITAL. Canfield presided both over the hospital and its board of trustees (1912-16), was a charter member of Maternity Hospital (see UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS OF CLEVELAND), and directed the Canfield-White Hospital. Born in Freedom (Portage County), OH, to Henry and Eliza Brown Robinson, Canfield attended Hiram College and graduated from Oberlin College in 1868. She taught school in Oberlin before entering the Medical College of CLEVELAND HOMEOPATHIC HOSPITAL, where she studied with Dr. Charles Morrell. After graduating in 1875, she began practicing in Cleveland. She also studied in Germany and France. Canfield blended her teaching and medical interests, becoming a professor of gynecology at the Homepathic College (1890-97). She was also active in PHILANTHROPY, especially with the Federated Charities. Canfield belonged to the Cleveland Hospital Council, CLEVELAND SOROSIS, the Women's Press Club of Cleveland, and the COLLEGE CLUB OF CLEVELAND. Canfield was a member of the Euclid Avenue Congregational Church.
In 1869 Canfield married attorney Harrison Wade Canfield; the couple had 4 children. One son, Charles, died at an early age; the others were Hiram H. Canfield, Elma (Mrs. H. B.) Cody, and Mary (Mrs. J. R.) Ewers. Canfield is buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.