The CLEVELAND MESSENGER was a religious weekly founded to promote the principles of Sabbatarianism. Published by the music firm of Breck & Tuttle, it first appeared in May 1836 and lasted about a year. It was edited by Harmon Kingsbury, who was joined and then superseded by Rev. Stephen J. Bradstreet in 1837. In accordance with its avowed object, the front page was regularly taken up by a lengthy article under the standing head of "The Sabbath." Advertising was sporadic, and secular news appeared primarily as filler.