Category: Communication

ACTIVE COMMUNICATIONS, INC., is the publisher of two tabloids, the Active Voice and the Weekly Farce. The company was founded in 1988 by two brothers in their 20s, Ken and Ron McEntee, both graduates of Berea High School. The Weekly Farce, introduced in Feb. 1988, is a publication devoted entirely to local and national humor, spoofing current news, politics, sports, and media.

ANDORN, SIDNEY IGNATIUS (25 Sept. 1906-25 Sept. 1981), worked in newspapers, radio, and television during a journalism career spanning over 50 years. Born in Newark, Ohio, he moved to Cleveland in 1912.

BAKER, ELBERT H. (25 July 1854-27 Sept. 1933), was the "fourth founder" of the PLAIN DEALER. Born in Norwalk, Ohio to Henry and Clara Maria (Hall) Baker, his family came to Cleveland in 1865, moving to Kansas City in 1870.

BEAUFAIT, HOWARD G. (15 Oct. 1904-3 Nov. 1976) was the "big story" reporter of the CLEVELAND NEWS during its last quarter-century. He was born in Detroit, Mich., son of Louis and Dorothy (Johnson) Beaufait. He was educated in New York and England, and broke into journalism as editor of a small Maine weekly.

BELLAMY, PAUL (26 Dec. 1884-12 Apr. 1956), was editor of the PLAIN DEALER from 1928-54. Son of utopian author Edward Bellamy and Emma (Sanderson) Bellamy, he was born in Chicopee Falls, Mass, graduated from Harvard (1906), and worked a year on the Springfield (Mass.) Union before coming to Cleveland as a reporter for the Plain Dealer.

BELLAMY, PETER (9 Nov. 1914-6 Jan. 1989) covered many beats during a journalism career of 50 years but was best remembered as drama critic of the CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER. He was a native of Cleveland and the son of PAUL BELLAMY, editor of the Plain Dealer from 1928-54.

BERGENER, ALBERT EDWARD MYRNE (A.E.M.) (5 Sept. 1875-14 May 1950) was, in the words of one of his reporters, the "cussing, shouting, reporter-insulting, hard-boiled" city editor of the CLEVELAND NEWS. The son of Henry and Katherine (Casyl) Bergener, he was born and raised in Chicago. He dropped out of the Univ.

BRASCHER, NAHUM DANIEL (24 May 1880-14 January 1945), a prominent AFRICAN AMERICAN journalist, educator, and community leader, active in Cleveland during the early decades of the twentieth century.

BRIGGS, JAMES A. (6 Feb. 1811-22 Aug.

BRIGGS, JOSEPH W. (5 July 1813-23 Feb. 1872) instituted free home mail delivery in Cleveland and was later appointed to a postal job in Washington to establish this system throughout the U.S. Born in Claremont, N.Y., and raised by his uncle, Geo.

BROUGH, JOHN (17 Sept. 1811-29 Aug. 1865) was a newspaper publisher, state auditor, railroad president, and CIVIL WAR governor of Ohio, Brough was born in Marietta, Ohio. Orphaned at 11, he became an apprentice printer. After paying his way through Ohio University, he edited and published newspapers in West Virginia and Ohio.

The BYSTANDER began publication as the Country Club News, probably ca. Jan. 1921. Strictly social in orientation, the monthly magazine seems to have been run largely by the efforts of female volunteers, among them GRACE GOULDER-IZANT. It became the Town & Country Club News in Dec. 1926, with Chas. T. Henderson as editor.

The CITY RECORD is the official publication of the city of Cleveland and contains the proceedings of Cleveland City Council. The first City Record appeared with the date of 7 Jan. 1914, and was indicative of the change in city government that year. The premier issue indicated the aims of its compilers: it was to be a public document with no news matter or editorial comment.

The CLEAVELAND GAZETTE & COMMERCIAL REGISTER, Cleveland's first newspaper, appeared on 31 July 1818, 22 years after the settlement's establishment. It was a 4-column, 4-page weekly, edited, published, and printed by Andrew Logan of Beaver, PA, in a small shop at 220 Superior Ave. NW.

The CLEVELAND ADVERTISER, from its first issue on 6 Jan. 1831, spelled Cleveland without the superfluous a, antedating the older Herald in that innovation by more than a year. It was established as a Whig weekly by Henry Bolles and Madison Kelley, who ran it until 1833, when it was turned over to W. Woodward and converted into a Democratic organ. On 8 Jan.

The CLEVELAND ADVERTISING CLUB, now the Cleveland Advertising Association, was organized in 1901 for the study of all matters related to advertising, to advance the public image of advertising as a positive force in business, to promote Cleveland as an advertising center, and to advance the civic, cultural, and business interests of Greater Cleveland.

The CLEVELAND ADVOCATE was an African American newspaper that flourished during the period of World War I and the great migration from the South. It was established on 15 May 1914 by ORMOND ADOLPHUS FORTE, a native of Barbados, British West Indies. According to Forte, who began working for the M. A. HANNA CO.

The CLEVELAND BLUE BOOK is a locally produced version of the New York SOCIAL REGISTER, which at one time also published a Cleveland edition. The Cleveland Blue Book actually antedated New York's list of the social elite, having first appeared ca. 1880 as the Cleveland Social Directory. Published by Mrs. M. B.

The CLEVELAND CALL & POST rose from somewhat obscure origins to become long Cleveland's major African American newspaper. It was created from the 1927 merger of 2 struggling weeklies, the Call and the Post. The Call was founded ca. 1920 by a group that included local inventor GARRETT A. MORGAN.

The CLEVELAND DAILY ARGUS, an evening daily, made its first appearance on 3 Mar. 1885. Priced at $.01, it was an attempt to test the market for a working-class paper with Republican leanings. As such, it advocated high tariffs and sound currency, while offering free want ads to the unemployed and calling for municipal supervision of the retail weighing of coal.

The CLEVELAND DAILY GAZETTE was an expanded version of the semiweekly edition of L. L. Rice's CLEVELAND WHIG. The paper made its first appearance in May 1836. It replaced the semiweekly Whig, although Rice, largely using material from the Daily Gazette, continued publication of the weekly Whig from the same office.

The CLEVELAND DAILY REVIEW briefly provided the city with its first Sunday newspaper. After 2 months of publication in a prototype 2-page format, it reappeared permanently on 29 Aug. 1857 as a 6-day penny daily of 4 5-column pages. Published by Edward A. Munson & Co., the paper listed Geo. Spear and Henry Newcomb Johnson with Munson as coeditors.

The CLEVELAND EDITION emerged as Cleveland's chief alternative newspaper during the decade following the death of the CLEVELAND PRESS. Started by Bill Gunlocke, a former teacher from western New York, the free weekly tabloid made its first appearance on 31 Aug. 1984.

The CLEVELAND FREE TIMES emerged shortly after the demise of the CLEVELAND EDITION to become Cleveland's principal alternative newspaper. The weekly tabloid was launched on 30 Sept. 1992 by activist lawyer RICHARD H. SIEGEL. Edited originally by Ken Myers, the Free Times inherited many of the Edition's writers as well as its anti-establishment political stance.

The CLEVELAND GATHERER was a weekly newspaper of 6 columns introduced in Dec. 1841 by a partnership identified as Bagley & Fisher. Also known as the Gatherer & Weekly News Scroll, it professed temperance and "independent politics." It was edited by Edward Burke Fisher and managed to survive for at least a year.