The CLEVELAND TRAINING SCHOOL FOR COLORED NURSES was established in 1898 to provide medical education for black women. At a time when black doctors and nurses had difficulty gaining access to hospitals for internships and practicums, the school's founder, Dr. Latrobe Motley, tried to purchase a hospital building to offer the nurses a practical training. The school's first class of 14 received 6 months training from Motley's home. In 1899 Motley and Dr. Jessie Dickerson incorporated the Bethesda Hospital & Training School for Nurses. This venture was apparently short-lived, as it never appeared in city directories. The Cleveland School for Colored Nurses was briefly listed at 189 Central Ave.