The CLEVELANDER has survived 3 major format changes as the organ of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce and its successor, the GREATER CLEVELAND GROWTH ASSN. Premiering as a monthly publication in May 1926, it contained 36 pages edited by Munson Havens and Lawrence L. Jewell. Strongly civic in profile, its guest writers during the first year included WM. R. HOPKINS, NEWTON D. BAKER, TRIS SPEAKER, LINDA EASTMAN, and Bp. JOSEPH SCHREMBS. By World War II, the Clevelander was being coedited by Carl E. Stahley and Iris Shimp. From a Depression low of 16 pages, wartime prosperity had once again fattened its size to a 1945 "Roster Issue" of 128 pages. Though becoming perceptibly more business-oriented, the magazine still featured articles by civic figures. After the metamorphosis of the Chamber of Commerce into the Greater Cleveland Growth Assn., an attempt was made to transform the Clevelander into a hardcover quarterly in Apr. 1970. Civic boosterism again dominated its content, though articles were written mostly by professionals rather than guests. Circulation of the quarterly was nearly 15,000, but only 8 issues appeared before the Clevelander abandoned its hardcover format. It printed a 9th number in soft covers in Apr. 1972, the same month that saw the birth of CLEVELAND MAGAZINE. With its civic functions largely assumed by the independently published newcomer, the Clevelander was converted into a monthly members' newsletter by the Growth Assn. on 1 May 1972.