CLIFFORD, LOUIS L. (24 June 1906-25 May 1968), city editor of the CLEVELAND PRESS during the post-World War II hegemony, was born in Wabash, Indiana, moved to Cleveland, and graduated from CATHEDRAL LATIN HIGH SCHOOL in 1924. He began working as a police and criminal-courts reporter for the CLEVELAND NEWS under city editor A. E. M. Bergener. Joining the Press in 1928, Clifford earned a reputation as a human-interest writer. After service as assistant city editor, he was named city editor in 1943. Clifford's 25-year tenure at the city desk coincided with the Press's domination of Cleveland politics and journalism. He trained and directed the strong local staff, which both executed the political campaigns of Editor LOUIS B. SELTZER and pursued the "big" stories of crime and corruption that interested Clifford. Both friendly and rival journalists extolled Clifford as the best city editor. Unlike Seltzer, Clifford maintained a low profile outside of his job. He eschewed the flamboyant theatrics of traditional city editors such as Bergener in favor of a lower-key, but no less authoritative, approach. A resident of Euclid, Clifford married Patricia Sloan and had 3 children, John E., Thos. S., and Mrs. Donna O'Donnell. He served on the Euclid Charter Commission and the Euclid Glenville Hospital board. He died of a heart attack in the Press parking lot as he was preparing to leave for a week's vacation.