The CORRIGAN-MCKINNEY STEEL CO., once one of the outstanding steel companies in America, traced its origins back to Corrigan, Ives, and Co., dealers in iron ore and pig iron, established in Cleveland ca. 1890. One of its founders, James W. Corrigan, had made a fortune with Standard Oil. Corrigan-Ives went into receivership in 1893, and was reborn as Corrigan, McKinney & Co. about 1895, with Price McKinney as a partner.
Corrigan died in 1908, and under McKinney's leadership the firm grew to become the Corrigan-McKinney Steel Co. The firm boasted a strategically located plant along the Cuyahoga River as well as extensive iron ore and coal reserves.
Corrigan left control of the company to McKinney, with his son's (his only heir) share in trust. The son, also named James, had a reputation as a playboy, and his later marriage to a divorcee and aspiring socialite (see CORRIGAN, LAURA MAE) was frowned upon by McKinney, who eventually renamed the firm the McKinney Steel Co.
James Corrigan, through lawsuits and stock purchases, acquired control of the company in 1919 and ousted McKinney, who later committed suicide. Corrigan died in 1928, while his wife entered English society circles before involving herself in relief efforts during World War II.
Corrigan-McKinney was acquired by REPUBLIC STEEL in 1935, and was an important asset to that company, significantly improving its industrial strength.