The CUYAHOGA COUNTY BAR ASSN. (CCBA) was organized in 1927 as the Cleveland Law Assn. The association was founded by 64 former members of the CLEVELAND BAR ASSN. (CBA) dissatisfied with the operations of the CBA. The new association members sought to establish a non-sectarian, non-political bar association which would educate attorneys in the practical and ethical considerations of the profession. Its first trustees were Judge Frederick P. Walther, Judge Thomas E. Greene, Judge Bradley Hull, and James P. Mooney; HARRY F. PAYER was elected the first president. Both officers and trustees were elected by the members and held office for 1 year.
Throughout its history, the CCBA has served as an effective forum and advocate for important bar-related issues. In 1939 the association became involved in opposing the bar integration issue, where membership, dues, and licensing are mandatory before practicing law. In 1948 it endorsed the Gwynne Bill, which allowed lawyers to practice without further testing before administrative agencies, and limited the same standards of advertising and soliciting to both groups. The same year it supported fair employment practices. In 1949 it recommended that judges in divorce cases send attorneys cards notifying them of overdue decrees, setting up a new date when due, and requiring decrees to be filed as soon as the case was heard. It organized and demanded a judge's removal from pretrial procedures for improper case handling while being paid at public expense. In 1951, after investigating charges of illegal adoption practices involving attorneys, it found no wrongdoing. In 1961 it became the first bar association to favor abolishing capital punishment. In 1995 the association had over 1,400 members. The director was Patricia G. McAulay.
See also LAW.