ADDAMS, GEORGE STANTON (23 Feb. 1869-15 Apr. 1933), was the juvenile court judge in Cleveland from 1905 to 1926, and during these years he figured large in making the juvenile court the central coordinating organ for dependent and delinquent youth services. His efforts served as a model throughout Ohio and the entire Union. George S. Addams was born in Conotton, Ohio. He took a B.A.
FLORENCE ELLINWOOD ALLEN, (March 23, 1884-September 12, 1966) was a jurist whose career marked a series of firsts for women.
ANDREWS, SHERLOCK JAMES (17 Nov. 1801-11 Feb. 1880), one of Cleveland's first lawyers, was considered the father of the Cleveland Bar. Andrews was born in Wallingford, Conn., the son of John and Abigail Andrews. After graduating with high honors from Union College in 1821, Andrews studied law at the New Haven Law School.
ARTER & HADDEN, Cleveland's oldest legal partnership, traces its origins to the 1843 partnership of Willey & Cary. Opening an office in the Hancock Block (Superior and W. 3rd St.), George Willey started his law practice shortly after his admission to the Ohio Bar in 1842. He was joined the following year by another recent admittant to the bar, John Cary.
ARTER, CHARLES KINGSLEY (24 Apr. 1875-22 Mar. 1957) was a senior partner in the Cleveland-based firm of ARTER & HADDEN, founded in 1843 as Willey & Cary, the oldest law firm in Ohio.
BACKUS, FRANKLIN THOMAS (6 May 1813-14 May 1870), a prominent Cleveland lawyer, was born in Lee, Berkshire County, Mass., to Thomas and Rebecca (Couch) Backus. He was completely self-taught and was admitted as a junior-year student to Yale in 1834. In 1837 Backus came to Cleveland and opened a school for the classics.
BAKER & HOSTETLER, one of the nation's 25 largest law firms, has served the health care industry, the media and communications industry, and has worked to protect the intellectual property rights of clients in the entertainment, high technology, sports, and apparel industries. Its client list has included E. W.
BALDWIN, CHARLES CANDEE (2 Dec. 1834-2 Feb. 1895), was a corporate lawyer, circuit judge, and founder of the WESTERN RESERVE HISTORICAL SOCIETY. Born in Middletown, Conn., to Seymour Wesley and Mary (Candee) Baldwin, he and his family moved to Elyria, but returned to Connecticut in 1847.
BENEDICT, GEORGE A. (5 Aug. 1812-12 May 1876), was the editor of the CLEVELAND HERALD from 1857-76. Born in Watertown, N.Y. to Amos and Ann (Stone) Benedict, he moved to Cleveland in 1835, shortly after his admittance to the bar. He practiced law for several years, also serving briefly as city attorney and president of the city council.
BENESCH, ALFRED ABRAHAM (7 Mar. 1879-21 May 1973), was an active community leader and senior partner in one of Cleveland's most prestigious law firms, Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff. Born in Cleveland to Isidore J. and Bertha Federdian Benesch, he received his law degree from Harvard in 1903 and established a practice with Benjamin Star.
BICKFORD, GEORGE P. (28 Nov. 1901-14 Oct. 1991), a Cleveland attorney, became a noted authority on Indian and Far Eastern art through the process of acquiring an extensive personal collection in the field. A native of Berlin, N.H., he was raised in Washington, D.C. Following his graduation from Harvard in 1922, he traveled to China, where he studied Chinese and taught in a missionary school in Shanghai.
The BLACK LAWS were a series of early 19th-century restrictions on Cleveland's black citizens imposed by the Ohio state constitution of 1802 and by state law. Growing antislavery sentiment in the WESTERN RESERVE caused most of these laws to be repealed before the Civil War. Like other Northwest Territory states, Ohio was influenced by southern attitudes toward race.
BOARDMAN, WILLIAM JARVIS (15 Apr. 1832-2 Aug. 1915), was a lawyer active in Cleveland business, civic, and political affairs before moving to Washington, D.C., in the late 1880s. Son of Henry Mason and Sarah Hall Benham Boardman and born in Boardman, Ohio, William Boardman spent 3 years at Kenyon College before transferring to Trinity College in Hartford, Conn. where he graduated in 1854.
BOLTON, THOMAS (29 Nov. 1809-1 Feb. 1871), a prominent lawyer, was born in Scipio, N.Y. to Thomas and Hannah (Henry) Bolton. He attended Harvard University (1829-33), there meeting his future partner Moses Kelley. Bolton studied law in Canandaigua, N.Y.; came to Cleveland in Sept. 1834; and was admitted to the bar in 1835. In 1836 he and Kelley formed the firm of Bolton & Kelley.
BREITENSTEIN, JOSEPH C. (30 July 1884-19 Aug. 1974), attorney, served as special assistant U.S District Attorney (15 Nov. 1922-15 Mar. 1923) and was a leader in the the CUYAHOGA COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY and the Ohio Democratic party. As assistant district attorney, he handled U.S. v. Eugene Debs, among other cases.
BROWN, LLOYD ODOM (12 Dec. 1928-3 May 1993) was the first African-American elected as a Cleveland Municipal Court judge and the second to sit as an Ohio Supreme Court Justice. He also served on Cuyahoga County's Common Pleas court and with the firm of Weston, Hurd, Fallon, Paisley & Howley.
BULKLEY, ROBERT JOHNS (8 Oct. 1880-21 July 1965), a prominent banker and businessman, was a Democratic U.S. Representative from 1910-14 and U.S. senator from 1930-39. Born in Cleveland, to Charles Henry and Roberta Johns Bulkley, he received an A.B. (1902) and M.A. (1906) from Harvard, and studied law for a year. Bulkley was admitted to the Ohio bar in 1907.
BURKE, THOMAS A. (ALOYSIUS) (30 Oct. 1898-5 Dec. 1971) served as Cleveland law director and mayor. Born in Cleveland to Thomas A. and Lillian McNeil Burke, he received his B.A. from Holy Cross College (1920), and his LL.B. from Western Reserve University School of Law (1923). He was assistant county prosecutor from 1930-36; and in 1937, the state attorney general appointed him special counsel to prosecute vote fraud.
BURTON, THEODORE ELIJAH (20 Dec. 1851-28 Oct. 1929) served as a Republican in the U.S. House of Representatives (1889-91, 1895-1909, 1921-28) and U.S. Senate (1909-15, 1928-29). Born in Jefferson, Ohio, to Rev. Wm. and Elizabeth Grant Burton, he attended Grinnell Academy & College in Iowa 2 years before returning to Ohio, earning an A.B.
CALFEE, HALTER & GRISWOLD, a law firm which dates to the formation of Calfee & Fogg in Cleveland in 1908, has specialized in corporate and securities, commercial and municipal law and financing, civil litigation, taxation, labor relations, banking, real estate, health-care law, antitrust law, probate, and estate planning.
CANNON, AUSTIN VICTOR (9 June 1869-27 Sept. 1934) was a well-known lawyer, businessman, and leader in securing much needed relief funds for Cleveland during the Depression. Cannon was born in Streetsboro, Ohio, the son of Artemus M. and Lenora (Wells) Cannon. Educated at Buchtel College (now the University of Akron), he received a B.S. degree in 1892.
CHALOUPKA, ALOYSIUS W. (2 July 1886-May 1961), attorney, served as assistant prosecutor for Cuyahoga County (1919-20). Chaloupka was born in Czechoslovakia to Joseph and Anna Pleticha Chaloupka and came to Cleveland as a child. He attended St. Prokop's Parochial School and St. Ignatius College. In 1917 he received a law degree from the Cleveland Law School and began his law practice.
CITY OF EAST CLEVELAND, OHIO V. MOORE resulted in a U.S. Supreme Court decision (31 May 1977) reversing an Ohio lower-court ruling and overturning an EAST CLEVELAND zoning ordinance that prohibited members of an extended family from living together in the same residence.
CLARKE, JOHN HESSIN (18 Sept. 1857-22 Mar. 1945), practiced law and rose through Democratic ranks to the U.S. Supreme Court, after retirement crusading for world peace. Born in Lisbon, Ohio, to John and Melissa (Hessin) Clarke, he attended Western Reserve University, earning a A.B. (1877) and A.M. degree (1880). Admitted to the Ohio bar in 1878, he moved to Youngstown in 1880 after practicing law in Lisbon.
CLEAVELAND, MOSES (29 Jan. 1754-16 Nov. 1806), founder of the city of Cleveland, was born in Canterbury, Conn. In 1777, Cleaveland began service in the Revolutionary War in a Connecticut Continental Regiment, and graduated from Yale. Resigning his commission in 1781, he practiced law in Canterbury, and on 2 Mar. 1794 married Esther Champion and had four children.