The DAILY CLEVELANDER gave Cleveland its first penny newspaper on 1 Oct. 1855. It was edited by William J. May, formerly of the CLEVELAND HERALD, who provided its 4 5-column pages with some lively writing. Avoiding politics at first, the Clevelander instead displayed a passion for the THEATER, regularly listing theatrical events under the masthead. Its most serious political fight was a successful campaign against a nearly prohibitive theater tax passed by the city council. As the national election campaign progressed in 1856, the Clevelander initially professed boredom with all candidates. By September, however, it hoisted the colors of Millard Fillmore to its masthead, while claiming no sympathy for the nativist principles of his American party supporters. Shortly after the election, on 18 Nov. 1856, the Daily Clevelander suspended publication.