The DAILY MORNING MERCURY was one of the half-dozen publications that made their debuts in the local media explosion of 1841. Specializing in police reports, it was started in early September by Edward Burke Fisher and Calvin Hall. By November it had been combined by Fisher with Gage Mortimer Shipper's DAILY MORNING NEWS as the Daily Mercury & News. According to the CLEVELAND HERALD, Shipper had withdrawn from the enterprise by 1 Mar. 1842, when the paper was reported to be under the editorship of Fisher and the proprietorship of "Messrs. Cottrell & Bagley." Since Bagley and Fisher were also publishers of the weekly CLEVELAND GATHERER, a connection between that publication and the contemporaneous Mercury & News is likely.