DOAN BROOK is a 7-mi. stream feeding from SHAKER LAKES that crosses EUCLID AVE. and runs through WADE PARK before emptying into Lake Erie. The brook powered a mill and tannery, a sawmill, and a gristmill for the Shaker community established in 1823. Because of its beauty, the city of Cleveland regarded Doan Brook and its surrounding valleys as the core of park development. In 1896 JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER donated the 276 acres of Doan Brook Valley land that became ROCKEFELLER PARK. Other donations and acquisitions completed a continuous parkway along the stream from Lake Erie to SHAKER HTS.



Black, white and red text reading Western Reserve Historical Society

View image in Digital Cleveland Starts Here® 

Article Categories