ALLEN, JOHN W. (1802-5 October 1887), was a prominent politician, businessman, lawyer, and editor. Born in Litchfield, Connecticut, to John and Ursula (McCuroy) Allen, he graduated from Harvard in 1825 and made his way to Cleveland to study law under Judge SAMUEL COWLES. He joined the Cleveland Bar Association the same year.
The AQUARAMA, the largest passenger ship to operate on the Great Lakes, was built in 1945 in Chester, PA as a troop transport ship named the Marine Star. The 520-ft. ship with a gross tonnage of 12,733 was equipped with a single-screw, oil-fired, turbine-propelled engine. The freighter was purchased in 1953 by Sand Products Co.
AUSTIN, WILBERT JOHN (2 Nov. 1876-4 Dec. 1940), a prominent engineer and builder, was one of five children, born in Cleveland to Samuel and Sarah Gynn Austin. After receiving a B. S. degree in engineering from Case Institute of Applied Science in 1899, he spent a year of travel and graduate work before joining with his father to form the Samuel J. Austin & Son Co. in 1901.
BAKER, WALTER C. (27 June 1868-26 Apr. 1955), an engineer, helped found the American Ball Bearing Co. and developed automobile parts. Born in Hinsdale, N.H., to George W. and Jeanette Rowene (Hall) Baker, the family came to Cleveland in 1871. Baker's father, an inventor, helped organize the White Sewing Machine Co. and the Cleveland Machine Screw Co.
BRADLEY TRANSPORTATION, a major local builder of lake vessels, was at one time the largest single vessel owner in the city. The firm was founded in 1868 by Ahira Cobb and Capt. ALVA BRADLEY, a Connecticut-born seaman who turned from sailing to shipbuilding in 1841. The business was centered in Vermilion until 1859, when Bradley came to Cleveland and Cobb sold out his interest.
BRADLEY, ALVA (27 Nov. 1814-28 Nov. 1885), was a sailor, ship owner, and shipbuilder, who helped develop Great Lakes shipping. Born in Ellington, Conn., to Leonard and Roxanne Thrall Bradley, he moved to Brownhelm, Ohio in 1823. At 19 Bradley left home to become a sailor on the Great Lakes.
BRIDGES. Cleveland, split firmly though unequally by the CUYAHOGA RIVER, is deeply dependent on bridges. The city's east and west sides are joined today by both high fixed spans and lower-level opening bridges. Trains cannot climb steep grades, and their frequency of crossing is low enough to permit the use of opening spans of various sorts.
BRITTON, CHARLES SCHUYLER II (6 July 1932-13 May 1993) was a ship manufacturer and founder of Douglass & McLeod Plastics Co., later known as Tartan Marine Co., the world's first fiberglass-sailboat manufacturer. He also served as president of the BRITTON FUND, incorporated in 1952 by his parents and M.J. Mitchell.
BURKE LAKEFRONT AIRPORT, a municipally operated downtown air terminal, was located on Cleveland's lakefront and was built to relieve CLEVELAND HOPKINS INTL. AIRPORT of the need to handle large numbers of smaller aircraft.
BURKE, STEVENSON (26 Nov. 1826-24 Apr. 1904), noted jurist and expert railroad litigator, was born in St. Lawrence County, New York, son of David and Isabella Burke. He was 8 years old when his family moved to North Ridgeville in Lorain County, Ohio were he received his early education. After attending Ohio Wesleyan University, he studied law with Horace D. Clark in Elyria and was admitted to the bar in 1848.
BURKE, THOMAS A. (ALOYSIUS) (30 Oct. 1898-5 Dec. 1971) served as Cleveland law director and mayor. Born in Cleveland to Thomas A. and Lillian McNeil Burke, he received his B.A. from Holy Cross College (1920), and his LL.B. from Western Reserve University School of Law (1923).
CASE, WILLIAM (10 Aug. 1818-19 Apr. 1862), son of LEONARD CASE, SR., was a prominent businessman, politician, and civic leader. Born in Cleveland, he received his education locally at Rev. Colley Foster's school and privately (1836-38) with FRANKLIN T.
The CENTRAL VIADUCT, built between 1887-88, was a high-level bridge that linked the east and west sides of Cleveland. It stood where the Innerbelt Bridge (I-90) is now located. In Mar. 1879 Councilman Jas. M.
The CHAGRIN RIVER has its headwaters above Bass Lake, near Chardon, in Geauga County. It rises at an elevation of 1,335' (above sea level), flows a distance of 47.9 mi., and empties into Lake Erie at Eastlake, in Lake County, at an elevation of 571'. The river flows in a southwesterly direction from its source to a place approx. 1 mi.
The CLEVELAND AIR SHOW is an indirect successor of the NATL. AIR RACES, which were first held in Cleveland in 1929 as a competitive event. The first air show, in 1964 at BURKE LAKEFRONT AIRPORT, was underwritten by Geo. Steinbrenner. Approximately 10 years later a corporation was formed to run the show, Cleveland Natl.
CLEVELAND HARDWARE & FORGING CO. is one of only a few present day Cleveland industrial concerns descended from the city's once-numerous wagon and carriage parts manufacturers. Originally started as a small iron works and wagon hardware factory in the late 1870s, the firm was incorporated as the Cleveland Hardware Co. by Samuel E. Brown, Leander McBride, L. Austin, W. H. Stuart, and Myron T. Herrick in 1881.