DOAN, NATHANIEL (1 June 1762-29 Nov. 1815), was a blacksmith and in charge of the cows, oxen, and horses of the 1797 second surveying expedition of the Connecticut Land Co. Doan, son of Seth and Mercy (Parker) Doan, was born in Middle Haddam, Conn., where, on 29 Nov. 1785, he married Sarah Adams (d. 4 Mar. 1853). Along with JAS. KINGSBURY, JOB STILES, and others, he received city lots from the CONNECTICUT LAND CO. In 1798 he returned to Connecticut and brought his wife and 6 children back on a 92 day trip. Doan was required to set up a blacksmith shop on his property on Superior St., Cleveland's first light industry. Doan shod pack horses also made tools. Within months, the Doans were forced out of the area by the scourge of fever, ague, and mosquitos, and in 1799 Doan bought 100 acres in Euclid Twp. (later E. Cleveland, now part of Cleveland) for $1 an acre. He built a hotel and tavern, a landmark for almost 50 years, on the northwest corner of what is now Euclid Ave. and E. 107th, which he occupied until his death. Doan added a store, saleratus factory, and blacksmith shop. Doan served as justice of the peace, postmaster, and clergyman. When the first military company was organized in Cleveland in 1804, he was elected first lieutenant, and captain the following year. He was town clerk for many years, and in 1809 he became an associate judges of Cuyahoga County.Doan and his wife had six children surviving infancy: Sarah, Job, Delia, Nathaniel, Mercy, and Rebecca. Doan died in Cleveland and is buried in Lake View Cemetery
Post, Charles Asa. Doan's Corners and the City Four Miles West (1930).