EASTMAN, HARRY LLOYD (9 Apr. 1882-7 July 1963), judge of Cuyahoga County Insolvency & Juvenile Court from 1926-60, responsible for innovations that made the court a model for country during the 1940s, was born to Oliver H. and Clara (Bond) Eastman in Butler, Pa., but grew up in Findlay, Ohio. He became a photoengraver, inventing a "perfect ratio rule" measuring device for photoengravers. After working at the PLAIN DEALER and CLEVELAND LEADER a few years, he did odd photoengraving jobs to work his way through the Western Reserve School of Law, receiving his LL.B. degree and being admitted to the Ohio bar in 1913. He was assistant U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Ohio from 1919-21 and practiced law with several Cleveland firms until 1926. He married Marcella J. Dalgleish on 30 Sept. 1922. They had no children.
In May 1926, Eastman was appointed judge of the Cuyahoga County Insolvency & Juvenile Court, and was reelected to hold that position for 34 years. During Eastman's terms of office, the County Detention Home and juvenile court buildings were built (completed in 1932), juvenile court became an independent branch of the court system (1934), and changed and added services made the court one of the most progressive in the nation. Eastman improved personnel standards by raising the requirements for civil service, cooperation with schools of social work, and instituting on professional casework training for probation officers. He established the first juvenile-court psychiatric clinic and founded a department of child support. Judge Eastman retired in May 1960. He died in his SHAKER HEIGHTS home and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.
Harry Lloyd Eastman Papers, WRHS.