CWRU Links

EVERETT, HENRY A.

EVERETT, HENRY A. (16 Oct. 1856-10 Apr. 1917) was a street railway magnate involved with the financing, construction, and operation of many early electric railways in Cleveland and Ohio.

Born in Cleveland to Dr. Azariah and Emily (Burnham) Everett, Henry was educated in Cleveland public and private schools.

Everett turned his interest in electricity into a career. He figured prominently in public utilities, having organized and financed independent telephone companies and being associated with electric lighting corporations in numerous Midwestern cities.

In 1893 Everett became President of the CLEVELAND ELECTRIC RAILWAY CO. In 1895, Everett became president of Ohio's pioneer interurban line, the Akron, Bedford & Cleveland Railway Co. which, in 1899, consolidated with the Akron Traction & Electric Co. to form a new company operating 60 miles of track. This company reorganized in 1892 as the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Company when several Akron and Canton lines were acquired. Everett was president.

In 1896 Everett's efforts to build three-cent fare lines were followed by an ordinance to reduce Woodland Ave. fares from five to four cents at stated hours, and three cents during other hours of the day.

Everett formed the Everett-Moore Syndicate with Edward Moore in 1901 to operate the LAKE SHORE ELECTRIC RAILWAY CO., formed through the merger of four interurban railways including the Lorain & Cleveland Railway Co. and the Sandusky, Milan & Norwalk Railway. The Syndicate also owned the CLEVELAND, PAINESVILLE & ASHTABULA and CLEVELAND, PAINESVILLE & EASTERN lines.

Everett married Josephine Pettengill on 2 June 1886. They had two children, Leolyn and Dorothy. Everett lived in Willoughby. He died in Pasadena, California.