FAIRVIEW HOSPITAL, formerly Fairview General Hospital, in 2006 was located at 18101 Lorain Avenue. The hospital was founded in July 1892 as the Society for Christian Care of the Sick and Needy (also known as the Bethesda Deaconess House) by a group of local ministers and laymen of the Reformed church. It was created as a training school for religious sisters to provide care and religious instruction to the community. In 1894 the "German Hospital," as it was then known, was located in a small house on Scranton Road and served west side GERMANS. From 1896-1955, it was located at 3305 Franklin Circle. In 1913 the German Hospital had a tuberculosis sanatorium. It changed its name to Fairview Park Hospital during World War I. In 1955 Fairview Park Hospital moved to its present (2006) location on Lorain Avenue, FAIRVIEW PARK, and in 1960 it again changed its name to Fairview General Hospital, to reflect its provision of all basic hospital services. It renovated and expanded in 1970 and 1974. In June 1995 the name ofthe holding company was changed to the Fairview Health System, and the hospital names were modified to simply Fairview Hospital. Since 1997 Fairview Hospital has served as one of eight community hospitals under the umbrella of the Cleveland Clinic Health System.Since its inception, the hospital has been involved in NURSING and medical education. Its School of Nursing was formally established in 1909 and later moved to Codrington Hall in 1956. In July 1986 Fairview General Hospital affiliated with the Health Cleveland, Inc., a holding company for Fairview General Hospital and Lutheran Medical Center and their subsidiaries and foundations. In 1995 Fairview General Hospital had 511 beds, including bassinets. In June 1995 the name of the holding company was changed to the Fairview Health System, and the hospital names were modified to simply Fairview Hospital and LUTHERAN HOSPITAL. In 2006 Fairview General Hospital had 478 bed, including bassinets. At that time Fred DeGrandis served as President and CEO of the institution.