GEORGE B. POST AND SONS was a New York-based architectural firm that designed several notable Cleveland buildings. The company was founded by George B. Post (1837-1913); his sons, J. Otis and William Stone, were taken into the firm in 1904. Post is credited with developing the modern hotel design, as well as being a noted architect of urban business and commercial structures, primarily in New York City.
The firm maintained an office in Cleveland from about 1907-29. In 1910 the office managers were P. Raymond Siegel and CHARLES SCHNEIDER; the latter became a noted Cleveland architect. Post's Cleveland buildings include the WILLIAMSON BUILDING (1900) on Public Square (now demolished), the tallest building at the time; the Cleveland Trust Building (1908) at E. 9th and Euclid, with its ingenious solution to an awkward site; and the Statler Hotel (1912) at Euclid and E. 12th streets. With the latter Post achieved the first complete expression, nationally, of the large modern hotel.
The firm continued under this name after Post's death with William Stone Post as the principal designer. The firm did several other buildings in Cleveland, including Wade Park Manor (1923; with W. Sydney Wagner), the precedent-setting residential hotel of Cleveland; Fenway Hall (1923, with Reynold H. Hinsdale) at Euclid at E. 107th (Stokes Blvd.); and the National Town and Country Club (later known as Fenn Tower at CLEVELAND STATE UNIV.) in 1930.