Category: Architecture

The ACADEMY OF MEDICINE OF CLEVELAND (as of 2005, the Academy of Medicine Cleveland and the Northern Ohio Medical Association, or AMC/NOMA) was formed on May 28, 1902 (incorporated in 1924) through a merger of the CUYAHOGA COUNTY MEDICAL SOCIETY and the CLEVELAND MEDICAL SOCIETY.

The ALBERT M. HIGLEY CO. is a Cleveland-based general contracting and construction management firm that has built many recognizable structures in Northeast Ohio. Among the Higley Co. 's many projects are the Hiram College Science Building (1927); Curtis Wright Airport (CUYAHOGA COUNTY AIRPORT) (1929); the U.S.

The AMASA STONE CHAPEL on the CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIV. campus was erected by Mrs. John Hay and Mrs. Samuel Mather (see FLORA STONE MATHER) as a memorial to their father, AMASA STONE, in 1911.

The AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS, CLEVELAND CHAPTER, was established in the late 19th century. According to one source, it was organized on 7 Apr. 1887 from an earlier CLEVELAND ARCHITECTURAL CLUB. The existing chapter uses 1890 as its founding date. Throughout its existence, the chapter has been dedicated to architectural improvement in the city.

"ANDREWS'S FOLLY" was the popular name for the home of SAMUEL ANDREWS, one of the original partners of the firm that became the STANDARD OIL CO. in 1870.

The ARCADE is an internationally renowned structure which has no peer in the U.S. and has been compared with the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele in Milan, Italy. Erected at a cost of $867,000, the Arcade opened on Memorial Day 1890. It was built by a company of which STEPHEN V. HARKNESS was president. The architects were GEO.

ARCHITECTURE. Cleveland's innovations in certain areas of architectural planning have displayed a progressiveness and vision matched by few other cities. The 1903 Group Plan, which produced widespread national admiration at the time, is only one example. In the 1920s, the plan of the CLEVELAND UNION TERMINAL complex anticipated many of the features of Rockefeller Center.

ARCHITECTURE, CIVIC. In Cleveland, as elsewhere, the architecture of government is an indication of the civilization of the city. Almost without exception, the city's civic buildings have been in the classical modes that were the standard for government buildings throughout America's history.

ARCHITECTURE, RESIDENTIAL. Throughout the city's history, the residential architecture of Cleveland has generally followed the trends of the rest of the nation. It cannot be said that Cleveland produced a distinctive architects' style like Chicago's Prairie style, or a characteristically regional style like that of the San Francisco Bay area.

ARCHITECTURE, SACRED. Of the hundreds of sacred structures in Cleveland, there are several of national importance. ST. JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (ded. 1838) is one of the earliest examples extant in the nation of the Gothic Revival style.

BADGLEY, SIDNEY R. (28 May 1850-29 Apr. 1917), was a prominent church architect in the U.S. and Canada who was active in Cleveland from 1887 until his death. Born at Ernestown, Ontario, Canada, son of William Edwin and Nancy Rose Badgley, he was educated at public schools and private academies in Canada and served as an apprentice in a Toronto architectural office.

BALDWIN RESERVOIR of the Baldwin Filtration Plant and Fairmount Pumping Station is believed to be one of the largest covered reservoirs in the world. Completed in 1925 to store the treated water from the filtration plant before distribution to the service area, the underground clearwater reservoir is an engineering marvel. It is 500' wide, 1,000' long, and 35' deep and has a capacity of 135 million gallons.

BARNUM, FRANK SEYMOUR (25 Nov. 1850-17 Dec. 1927) was an architect who designed and supervised the construction of over 75 Cleveland public school buildings, and was among the first architects to utilize modern building techniques in his designs.

BENES, W. DOMINICK (14 June 1857-15 May 1935), a prominent architect, was, with BENJAMIN S.

The BOHEMIAN NATIONAL HALL, built at 4939 Broadway Avenue in 1896-97 by CZECH immigrants, reportedly was the first hall in the city owned by a nationality group.

The BOND STORE was the major example of Art Moderne commercial architecture in Cleveland. The Bond Clothing Co., which had occupied a store in the old Hickox Bldg. on the northwest corner of Euclid and E. 9th St. for many years since 1920, demolished the building in 1946 and erected its own store on the site.

BROOKLYN MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, organized in 1818 as Brooklyn Methodist Episcopal Church, developed out of Methodist classes meeting as early as 1814 in members' homes. The first church organized in BROOKLYN Twp., it is considered the oldest Methodist congregation in the Cleveland area. Church founders included Oziah Sylvanus, and Seth Brainard and Ebenezer Fish.

BROWN, WENDELL PHILLIPS (27 Nov. 1866-31 Jan. 1951) was especially noted as a designer and builder of bridges during an engineering career of half a century. He was born in Hopkinton, R.I., the son of George and Martha Brumley Brown. From Phillips Andover Academy he went to Yale, where he received his engineering degree in 1890.

The BURDICK HOUSE, a noted example of modern architecture on Stratford Road in CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, was constructed for HAROLD B. BURDICK (1895-1947), a Cleveland architect. The Burdick house was built in 1938-39 as a prototype for an economical middle-income house.

BURDICK, HAROLD BENNETT (5 Oct. 1895-24 May 1947) was an eclectic architect who designed some 28 homes in SHAKER HEIGHTS and whose own residence represented the first complete architectural statement of the modern house in Greater Cleveland.

The CAXTON BUILDING, erected in 1901-03, is one of the finest expressions of the tall steel-framed office building in Cleveland. The president of the Caxton Bldg. Co. was AMBROSE SWASEY, a promoter of the benefits of engineering to mankind.

CERUTI, JOSEPH (7 May 1912-26 Nov. 1993) was a renowned architect who designed numerous apartment buildings, homes, industrial complexes, libraries, schools and public housing projects (King-Kennedy) and a founding member who served 45 years on Cleveland's Fine Arts Advisory Committee (Design Review Committee).

The CHAMBER OF COMMERCE BUILDING stood opposite the northeast corner of Public Square from 1898-1955. The president of the Chamber of Commerce in 1897 was Worcester B. Warner, and the building committee consisted of representative Cleveland businessmen. Anticipating the design and erection of several new public buildings in the area that would become the Mall, the committee intended that the Chamber of Commerce Bldg.

CITY PLANNING. Like most American cities, Cleveland began as a speculative venture in real estate. Conceived as the capital of New Connecticut, the city was laid out in 1796 by surveyors with the original Moses Cleaveland expedition. The plat, a faithful reproduction of a New England town, with its characteristic commons, failed to treat either river or lakefront as a public amenity.

The CLEVELAND ADVOCATE was an African American newspaper that flourished during the period of World War I and the great migration from the South. It was established on 15 May 1914 by ORMOND ADOLPHUS FORTE, a native of Barbados, British West Indies. According to Forte, who began working for the M. A. HANNA CO.