GLOVER, VERA ABAGAIL (24 Nov. 1897-24 Sept. 1988), public health nurse, directed the nursing services for the Cuyahoga County Health Department from 1937-65. In 1951 she was elected the first woman and first non-physician president of the Ohio Public Health Association. Glover was born in Van Wert, OH, to Della Squibb and Isaac Porter Glover. She attended school in Scott, OH, where she worked as a post office clerk, and Van Wert, OH, where she graduated in 1915. She received a nursing degree from Lakeside Hospital Training School in 1920 and later also attended the University of Michigan (1923), Wittenberg College (1926-27), Cleveland College (1930s), and Fenn College (1939-41). Glover received a B.S. in Nursing 1942 from Western Reserve University's Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, with a certificate in Public Health Nursing.
Before coming to Cleveland, Glover worked for county health departments in Van Wert (1921-25), Dayton (1925-28), and Hillsboro, OH (May 1928-June 1929), and the Ohio Department of Health (Jan-May 1928). In July 1929 she joined the Cleveland Department of Health and the next April, the Cuyahoga County Department of Health where she remained until retiring. A member of the American Nurses Association, she became the county's Supervisor of Nurses in 1937. A single woman, Glover lived in CLEVELAND HEIGHTS, before moving to Canton, OH, in 1983. Glover was buried in Woodland Union Cemetery in Canton.