HAHN, EDGAR A. (24 Nov. 1882-16 July 1970), a lawyer involved in many civic endeavors, was born in Cleveland to Aaron and Therese Kalb Hahn, earned his LL.B. from Western Reserve University (1903), and did postgraduate work at Columbia University. Upon admittance to the Ohio bar in 1904, he started practicing law with his father. In 1912, under the new state constitution, Hahn was elected to the commission responsible for forming Cleveland's home-rule charter. Hahn joined the law firm of Mooney, Hahn, Loeser & Keough as senior partner in 1920. Hahn possessed an appreciation of the relationship between banking and society, and in 1933, played a major role untangling the confusion produced by the national bank holiday.
Hahn was a founder and original trustee of the NORTHERN OHIO OPERA ASSOC. (1927) and helped assure Cleveland would be a stop on the Metropolitan Opera's annual spring tour. As vice-chairman of the MUSICAL ARTS ASSOC., Hahn helped initiate the tradition of summer concerts by the CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA in 1938. In 1959, he was appointed a trustee of the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, and was chiefly responsible for its acquisition of a number of fine 18th-century paintings. Hahn also served as treasurer and trustee of the LOUIS D. BEAUMONT FOUNDATION. In Apr. 1964, Hahn was presented the Cleveland Medal for Public Service by the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce. In 1967, he was selected Sr. Citizen of the Year. Hahn married Irene Moss in 1910 and had 2 daughters, Katherine Hahn Bercovici and Mrs. Stanley Goodman.