HANNA, DANIEL RHODES (26 Dec. 1866-3 Nov. 1921) was born in Cleveland, the son of Charlotte Augusta (Rhodes) and MARCUS A. HANNA. He was owner and publisher of the CLEVELAND NEWS and Sunday News-Leader, and, as a partner in the M. A. HANNA CO. (1891-1915), led in developing iron ore in the northwestern Great Lakes and in the bituminous coal and blast furnace industries, In 1910, Hanna purchased the CLEVELAND LEADER, and in 1912 he acquired the Cleveland News from CHAS. A. OTIS, JR. He published the News and Leader until 1917, when the Leader was sold to the PLAIN DEALER. The Sunday Leader continued to be published with the News as the Sunday News-Leader. Hanna built the Leader-News Bldg. (1912), and the Hanna Bldg. and Theater as a memorial to his father (1921). Both buildings were planned by New York architect Chas. A. Platt.
Hanna was a member of many clubs and lived at various times on Franklin Ave., Lake Ave. (LAKEWOOD), Euclid Ave., and Bratenahl Rd., and had homes in Ravenna, Ohio, Lenox, Mass., and Ossining, N.Y. He remodeled the home in Ravenna, a Rhodes-Hanna house constructed in 1817, in the early 1900s, incorporating portions of 2 rooms purportedly from the renovated Buckingham Palace. Hanna married Daisy Gordon and later May Harrington, and had 8 children, Mark A., Carl H., Dan R., Jr., Elizabeth, Natalie, Ruth, Charlotte, and Mary. He died in Ossining, N.Y., and was buried in LAKE VIEW CEMETERY.