HAYR, JAMES (1 July 1838-1 Aug. 1927), a volunteer CIVIL WAR soldier and early custodian of the SOLDIERS & SAILORS MONUMENT, was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He and his family moved to Niagara Falls, N.Y., in 1851. He worked as a painter in Rochester, New York City, and Cleveland. Hayr enlisted in the Zouave Light Guards, which became Co. B, 23D OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY, in 1861. He was promoted to corporal on 4 July 1864 and to sergeant in Sept. 1864. He was severely wounded at the battle of Cedar Creek, Va., in Oct. 1864, and was mustered out of service on 1 Aug. 1865 at Cumberland, Md. Returning to Cleveland after the war, he became active in veterans' affairs, serving as commander of the Hampson Post (Grand Army of the Republic) and as an officer on the Cuyahoga County Soldiers & Sailors Monument Commission, beginning in 1884, and as custodian of the Soldiers & Sailors Monument for a number of years. Hayr and his wife, Martha G., had a daughter, Carrie. He died in Sandusky at the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Home and is buried in WOODLAND CEMETERY.