HEARD, LUCAS ALLEN (22 Aug. 1846-29 April 1903), architect, worked in Cleveland between 1870-81. He designed such local buildings as Ursuline Academy at Villa Angela (1878) and the Willson Avenue Baptist Church (1879, later St. Paul's AME Zion Church). Born in Cleveland, Heard was the son of Caroline James Goldsmith and CHARLES W. HEARD, a prominent architect, and the grandson of master builder JONATHAN GOLDSMITH. L. Allen Heard joined his father's firm in 1870. In 1877-78 he practiced under his own name and from 1879-81 was the partner of GEORGE HORATIO SMITH, who later designed the Cleveland ARCADE. In addition to the buildings in Cleveland, L. Allen Heard designed a boarding hall at Hiram College (OH).
Heard married Hattie C. Lewis in 1873 and had 3 children: Richard B., Allen, and Clarence L. He moved to Denver in 1881. Heard drowned at Escalante, CO; his remains were not found until almost 3 months afterward, on 11 July 1893.
See also ARCHITECTURE.