HEINTEL, CARL C. (29 Sept. 1917 - 16 Sept. 1997) was a banker who pioneered the redevelopment of OHIO CITY, Cleveland's first major neighborhood rebuilding effort. He was born on Cleveland's West Side, the son of Margaret Grosser and Charles S. Heintel, a stone contractor who later became president of West Side Federal Savings and Loan.
Heintel graduated from WEST HIGH SCHOOL and earned his bachelor's degree at Adelbert College of Western Reserve University in 1938. In 1945, he passed the certified public accountant's licensing exam, and in 1949 earned a law degree from Cleveland-Marshall Law School.
He began working as an accountant with Herbert J. Hausser while still an undergraduate, then was a senior partner at Hausser & Heintel from 1947 to 1965. Upon the death of his father in 1955, Heintel became director of West Side Federal.
He was president or chairman of numerous civic groups, including the URBAN LEAGUE OF GREATER CLEVELAND, the CITIZENS LEAGUE OF GREATER CLEVELAND, Cuyahoga Plan of Ohio, MERRICK HOUSE SOCIAL SETTLEMENT, WOODRUFF MEMORIAL INSTITUTE, and the Cleveland Scholarship Program. He served on the boards of the Council on Human Relations, and the CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU. He was a member of the Private Industry Council of Cleveland and CLEVELAND STATE UNIVERSITY's Levin Chair Advisory Committee. He belonged to Delta Tau Delta fraternity, Delta Theta Phi Law fraternity, and the LEGAL AID SOCIETY. He was president of the West High School Alumni Association from 1941, and was active with ST. IGNATIUS and Magnificat high schools.
Heintel married Adele Longo in 1940 and they had six children: Margaret, Carl C., Jr., Kathleen, Marian, Arthur C., and Frederick. He died at Fairview Hospital.