HORTON, WILLIAM P., SR. (23 Oct. 1832-13 Feb. 1923), Cleveland dentist and civic leader, helped organize and served as the 3rd president of the Ohio State Dental Society, and served as president of both the Ohio College of Dental Surgery and the Northern Ohio Dental Society, secretary-treasurer of the State Board of Dental Examiners (later the Ohio State Dental Board), and secretary of section seven of the American Dental Association. Horton was born in Pittsfield, VT, to Nancy B. McClellan and Dennis Horton. Educated in Wallingford, VT, he taught school before coming to Cleveland in 1844; he entered Oberlin College the next year. He then attended a DENTISTRY course in Milwaukee, WI, working for a brief time in 1851 in Oberlin as a store manager. Horton first practiced in Oberlin (1852) then in Cleveland with Dr. BENJAMIN STRICKLAND, and finally opened his own practice in Chapin's Hall. Later offices were located in the Colonial Arcade and the Osborn Building.
Horton helped organize the CUYAHOGA COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY and served on Cleveland City Council (1869-77, president for 8 years of that time) and on the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce (1883-1908). He was also active in the New England Society of Cleveland and the Presbyterian Union.
On 28 Oct. 1851, Horton married Louisa Chase of Maine; their children were William P., Jr., and Milton. He married Margaret Stroup of PA on 21 Oct. 1897; the couple lived in EAST CLEVELAND.