The HOWARD WISE GALLERY OF PRESENT DAY PAINTING was a privately owned gallery located at 11322 Euclid Ave. It was established in 1957 by Howard Wise, a member of the advisory council of the CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF ART, trustee and treasurer of the CLEVELAND INSTITUTE OF MUSIC, and trustee of Western Reserve Univ., in an attempt to bring the works of contemporary European and American artists to Cleveland and to broaden the scope of art appreciation in the Cleveland area. The gallery opened on 6 Dec. 1957 with an exhibition entitled "6 of Paris," featuring the works of 6 international artists then working in Paris. During its 3-year residence in Cleveland, the gallery presented 16 1-man shows and 22 group shows featuring the works of over 200 outstanding painters, including Geo. Braque, Hans Hoffman, and Jose Guerrero. The Wise Gallery's primary emphasis was on showing the works of the abstract-expressionist movement. It was, in addition, the first art room outside of New York City to show the artists of the Whitney Museum of Art's annual survey of contemporary American painting. In Sept. 1961 Wise closed the Cleveland location and moved the gallery to New York City.