The HUMISTON INSTITUTE, also known as the Cleveland Institute, was a private coeducational school for secondary education during the 1860s. Prof. Ransom F. Humiston, an accomplished Cleveland teacher, founded the school in 1859, when it opened in the unused CLEVELAND UNIV. Bldg. The sustaining purpose of the school was to offer a college preparatory curriculum as a superior alternative to the CLEVELAND PUBLIC SCHOOLS. It was both a boarding and a day school, attracting students from out of state as well as from the Cleveland area. In its final year it had an enrollment of 196 pupils. The institute finally succumbed to public school competition and in 1868 was taken over by the Western Homeopathic College.