HURON HOSPITAL (formerly Huron Road Hospital and MERIDIA HURON HOSPITAL), incorporated on August 6, 1874 and located at 13951 Terrace Road in
Internal controversies continued, however. In 1908 nurses went on strike, and the hospital's homeopathic doctors successfully sued the trustees to prevent allopathic doctors from practicing in the facility. Trustees then closed the hospital for repairs in April 1909 and kept it closed until 1911, when negotiations resulted in a dual homeopathic and allopathic staff, which lasted until 1924. At this time hospital trustees sold the Huron Rd. Hospital property to Ohio Bell (see
In 1931, work began on a new Huron Hospital in East Cleveland, while the old site was sold to Ohio Bell Telephone Company for their new headquarters. Work was completed in 1935. By 1946, the new hospital had a capacity for 350 beds, and became a critical provider of medical services for East Cleveland and its surrounding areas.
The hospital merged into the Meridia health system in 1984, and was renamed Meridia Huron Hospital. The
In 2011, the Cleveland Clinic announced it was closing Huron Hospital within 90 days. Meanwhile, a much smaller Huron Community Health Center would open on the hospital campus later that year, but would not offer a maternity ward or trauma services. Civic leaders from Cleveland and East Cleveland subsequently took legal action against the Cleveland Clinic in attempt to keep the facility open. The Cleveland Clinic reached a deal with East Cleveland to provide the city with 20 million dollars to replace payroll tax losses to the city and funds to tear down the hospital.