The INDEPENDENT NEWS-LETTER, inaugurated by printer David B. McLain in July 1828, was Cleveland's third newspaper and the first to challenge the front-running CLEVELAND HERALD after the demise of the Register in 1820. It also contended with the Herald politically by supporting the Democratic Jackson administration. From 18 Apr.-4 Aug. 1829, McLain turned over the editorial direction of the News-Letter to HARVEY RICE. It was a well-printed, attractive sheet of 4 6-col. pages, featuring numerous cuts and a variety of headline types. In May 1830 the name of Thos. J. McLain appeared on the masthead as publisher. On 10 Aug. 1830, in hope of gaining better support, the Independent News-Letter announced its imminent removal to Warren, OH, where it began publication on 25 Aug. as the Warren News-Letter & Trumbull County Republican.