JOHN, HENRY J. (5 Mar. 1885-28 Mar. 1971), an expert in diabetes, was born Jindrich Jeroslav to Czech parents, Jindrich and Filomena (Kvapilova) John, in Olomouc, Moravia. He came to the U.S. when he was 14 and graduated from the University of Kansas (1911). He then received his M.A. from the University of Minnesota (1912), and his M.D. from Western Reserve School of Medicine (1916), interning at ST. VINCENT CHARITY HOSPITAL. In 1917, John joined the Army Medical Corps. and was the first doctor to administer glucose intravenously after surgery. In 1919 he joined Dr. F. M. Allen in Morristown, N.J., working on diabetes. John met Dr. JOHN PHILLIPS, a founder of the CLEVELAND CLINIC FOUNDATION, and joined the clinic's staff. In 1924 he was the first U.S. physician to use insulin clinically. He left the clinic in 1935 and entered private practice. He served again as an Army doctor in France during WORLD WAR II. In 1928, John married Elizabeth (Betty) Beaman of Cincinnati. In 1929 they founded Camp Ho Mita Koda, the world's first summer vacation camp for diabetic children, donating land and their summer cabin in Newbury Ctr., Ohio, to the camp and directing it for 20 years. John collected Czech graphic art; as a woodcarver, made sculptures and furniture; and translated Czech literature into English. John was a founder of the American Diabetes Assoc. and cofounder of the Natl. Central Society for Clinical Research. In 1937 he received the Jewish Fed.'s Chas. Eisenman Award for outstanding community work. John died in New Mexico and was buried in the Arlington National Cemetery.

Henry John Papers, WRHS.

Article Categories